Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Eager Beaver

I learned about The Houston Half back in February when I got the cRaZy notion in my head to do the full marathon in Houston in January 2011.  You see, I knew I wanted to do a half before I did a whole, so I naturally looked for an area race I could participate in.  Back then, their website reflected the 2009 race info, but did specify the date of the 2010 race, so I always knew I was going to run this race on Sunday, October 24th.  What I didn't know at that time is that in March I would get side-tracked with the cRaZy notion of running a half before this half.  Ahhhh...the power of suggestion courtesy of Bobbi Jo.

A couple of months ago, The Houston Half's website skinnied down to just their logo, the registration date (June 15th), and a message on the bottom providing the viewer with a contact email address for information/inqueries.  Meanwhile, I've been trying to gather up some friends to run the race with me.  I think there is a certain comfort in knowing you have friends in the masses - even if you never see them past the start line and the after party - it's just nice to know they are experiencing the journey with you.

Do you know I've run all three of my 5Ks and my one 10K with Lauren?  It's going to be so weird to run the Chicago Rock n' Roll Half without her.  Thankfully, I will still have a friend with me -  Bobbi Jo, not to mention an aunt (who is amazingly fast) and an uncle.

I also miss my Meliska.  She was my inspiration in getting into running.  We did two races together and then she had to step down temporarily due to pregnancy, but you better believe we will be hitting the pavement together again as soon as she is ready!

Okay, okay...in typical Kim fashion, I have digressed...so my point in all of this is that last night I went onto the Houston Half's website just to see if they had added any additional info since the registration was to be opened up today.  Imagine my surprise to see that there was a registration tab and that it was allowing me to register.  Additionally, they had a Facebook link, so I clicked over to "like" Houston Half-Marathon and Relay and then I added the following comment which received the response below:

Kimberly Marx just signed up!!! yay!

Yesterday at 8:24pm · Comment ·LikeUnlike · Flag










Houston Half-Marathon & Relay Congratulations! You're the first registrant for the 2010 race. Thank you!!!
11 hours ago · Flag





Yes, I realize I made the pictures and text ridiculously large...please, allow me to explain.  I tried to just copy and paste, but of course that would only copy and paste the text.  I wanted you, my loyal and faithful readers to have the full experience, so the pictures were a must, but they showed up larger than life, so I changed the text size to compliment the picture size.  I'm kinda thoughtful like that...didn't want anyone to feel fat.  ;)

Anywho...so I'm all walking around with this big ego thinking how cool, yet dorky I am to have been first when I checked my email this morning and saw that the director of the race emailed me that there was a glitch in the system and my payment and address information somehow got lost.  He made a point of saying it wasn't my error and he was very sorry and could I please go back into the system and re-register and he would send me a confirmation email once he received my registration and/or I could call him directly.  It hurt my feelings, y'all.  =(  So, I tried to re-register, but the system told me I was duplicating my registration, so I called him instead - super nice guy, by the way.  He told me there were 9 of us that it had happened to.  I had asked if my friend Melissa B. was one of them and he said yes (sorry, Melissa!).  He said he was keeping track of us and the order we registered in when I told him it just sucked because I knew I had been first since the Facebook peeps told me so.  He laughed and told me it was true and that he couldn't guarantee me the #1 on my bib because the lowest numbers are reserved for the elite runners, but he was going to make sure that the 9 of us were next in line.  So, that turned my frown upside down.  =)  

Well that's all I have for you today....quite a mouthful as usual!  Peace out and have a happy day!

5 comments:

Melissa-D said...

I'm so excited you've signed up! Even if you aren't getting #1, it will still be cool to have an early-on number. I WISH I could run it with you! I was just telling Greg yesterday that I was sad that I couldn't be running next to you in Chicago! I'm going to have to hurry up and train once Baby-D is born so I can catch up with your awesomeness! : )

Lauren @ Team Giles said...

Aww I love that we've run everything together so far. What's funny is my first race this year without you, was a Rock 'n Roll one, :) and then YOURS will be a Rock 'n Roll one. So in a sense, its like we've still experienced similar races ;) OK, that's a stretch but you get it. I heart you.

That Pink Girl said...

#1, that is amazing - you are really on the ball! You sould totally photoshop your race potos so that your bib reads 1, since, you earned it. Elite runners my foot!
Side note, I am SO sad that the Houston Marathon will be a lottery this time. I've got my fingers crossed that I'll get in. Have you decided that you are going to run the full?
Good luck with your half training - you are going to OWN the Houston Half!

Tricia said...

First to sign up is very cool :)

Anonymous said...

That is so cool you were first to sign up! Thank you for the awesome comment you left on my Bob and Jillian post!!