Yep, it's summertime in the moving business (my work) and it has decided to destroy me. Oh...have I mentioned my tendency to be a bit melodramatic? =/
How do I cope? Well apparently not very well...but I'm determined to turn this all around somehow, someway, TODAY?!
It's time to dig deep and remember all things that bring me joy. In seeking out happiness, I can alleviate my stress and feel refreshed (um...in theory cuz the practice of it will be the true test).
I decided to come up with a list of 10 things that make me happy:
1. bubble baths
2. music
3. reading
4. chocolate
5. clean sheets
6. candles
7. vacations
8. hummus
9. sleeping in
10. holidays
Yeah, yeah...I know 2 of the 10 items are food and that is sooooo horrible, but raspberries on you for judging me! =P
Now the plan is to look and see if there is anyway possible to incorporate any of these delights into my day. Obviously vacations, holidays, and sleeping in are going to be a bit more challenging and not as frequent to apply, but maybe I can make the most of them when I have them. For example, the parentals are going to be flying out of the country and I will be staying at their house for 9 days. Their home is a vacation from my own - they have a pool and movie channels! haha! Oh and the 4th of July is the next holiday which happens to be right around the corner - let's hear it for a 3-day weekend! I bet some sleeping in is gonna happen - well maybe if the dogs let me.
Other than that, I know that bubble baths help to calm me and there is no reason why most nights I can't find 30 minutes or so to relax in one while listening to some Jason Mraz with a couple of candles lit nearby. I could even squeeze in a few chapters of my latest novel.
The point is that if I want to lessen my anxiety and my stress, I have to find a better way of coping with it. At the very least, I have to check it at the door (despite the after-hour phone calls and text messages from my employees) once I exit the building. It's all about taking deep breaths, not taking anything too seriously, and being thankful for the little things that make you happy. Speaking of which...what makes you happy?
Don't Worry, Be Happy
-Bobby McFerrin
Here is a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy......
Ain't got no place to lay your head
Somebody came and took your bed
Don't worry, be happy
The land lord say your rent is late
He may have to litigate
Don't worry, be happy
Look at me I am happy
Don't worry, be happy
Here I give you my phone number
When you worry call me
I make you happy
Don't worry, be happy
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style
Ain't got not girl to make you smile
But don't worry be happy
Cause when you worry
Your face will frown
And that will bring everybody down
So don't worry, be happy (now).....
There is this little song I wrote
I hope you learn it note for note
Like good little children
Don't worry, be happy
Listen to what I say
In your life expect some trouble
But when you worry
You make it double
Don't worry, be happy......
Don't worry don't do it, be happy
Put a smile on your face
Don't bring everybody down like this
Don't worry, it will soon past
Whatever it is
Don't worry, be happy

6 comments:
It makes me want to take a bubble bath RIGHT NOW! I too have been stressed, so your list helps me remember some things that help me de-stress. I think I need to stop and do some of them to help. Well...except one thing...my most favorite way to de-stress is to hang out with my favorite Kimska...that is one YOU have to help me fix! : )
Yummmmmm, Philosophy!!! Girl, we have SO MUCH in common. It's a shame we don't live close to each other. Or maybe it's a BLESSING we don't?? I have a feeling we'd probably tear the place down. Ha!! All ten of your things make me happy plus being barefoot!! :) You look amazing!!! I love all your in-progress pictures!!
Like Ginger mentioned, I'd have to add being barefoot. Hanging in my backyard, a good glass of wine, jazz music, a good novel or movie, riding my bike all make me happy.
I just love your idea! I'm gonna make my own realistic top ten and work to incorporate them into my daily life. You are a positive genius!!!
I'm so glad to know you by blog - you are a blessing to me!
wow, linked to you from pinky's blog and so glad i did! wonderful list and more so your attitude! you are amazing! keep forging forward!
I think I'm going to make a list too. Look at you inspiring people! :)
Post a Comment