After 10 whole weeks of being benched, I can finally be proud of my pelvis for healing up so nicely. I had a follow-up visit with my orthopedic doctor today. Have I mentioned how great he has been? Sure, I had to wait an hour in the waiting room for him, but I didn't mind...not really...maybe it had something to do with Angry Birds keeping me occupied, but alas...I digress. He really takes that time to talk to you...to listen. I like that.
So, he had mentioned during our last visit that upon my return he wanted to take x-rays. This confused me since my stress fracture did not show up on the x-rays we took 8 weeks ago. He explained that the injury was too new at that point and that he should see that the bone has calcified in the new x-rays. Hmmm...interesting. So, I took x-rays and it was soooo cool to see my calcified former stress fracture.
I was told to take it slow and easy and to stop if I feel any pain or discomfort at all. He said to make sure I'm incorporating cross training into my schedule and to avoid hills for the time being. I asked if I needed to start out on that horrible awful treadmill and much to my delight he said it wouldn't be necessary.
So, I have 11 weeks to prepare for my next half marathon - Dallas Rock 'n' Roll on March 27th. I've created a schedule based on Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Training guide, but modified to fit my needs. I'm excited, but kind of a little scared to get started.
Oh and another thing...since I've last run, some cRaZy things have happened. The time has changed. The weather has changed. It is now dark in the morning before work and it is now dark in the evening when I get home. Even though it has been in the 60s and 70s the past week or so, the air is damp and I find myself being so chilled. However am I going to deal with the really cold temperatures we get?! It's all going to be one big adjustment, but I can do it!
So, Saturday's big huge "long" run is going to be a 3-miler. Sounds rough, huh?! ;) Don't laugh, but it probably will be for me since it has been 10 weeks since this girl has run and over a month since I've worked out. When the doc said REST IT to HEAL IT, I did just that! So, cheers to a new season of running - hopefully this one will be injury free and worry free so that I can run free!
6 comments:
I love Hal's training plans! You will do great and be very happy you listened and rested :-)
Cheers! Yay! You're back in the game!
I'm so glad you can run again!!! I know it has been a hard and emotional time. I'm praying for continued healing and strength! Enjoy your time out there!
Welcome back to running! I hope we don't get rain on Saturday - I really don't want to do my long run on the treadmill.
I'm SO happy for you!!! :)
Woo to the hoo!
Yay for your pelvis being all healy. And YAY for you getting back to what you love, running!
Listen to your doc, be sure to take is EASY.
I'm already making signs for you for RNR though!
Post a Comment