I started my own self-imposed pre-op diet on Monday. This means I'm trying to eat less and incorporate a protein shake as at least one meal replacement. I'm attempting to lay low on the carbs and sugar, also.
So far so good, though I have had some rotten headaches. According to my calculations, I've lost 9 lbs since I started "caring" again and 6 of these pounds have been since my last doctor appointment 2 weeks ago.
On Tuesday, I had to have a gall bladder ultrasound in preparation for my upcoming surgery. Good news is that I did not have a gall bladder baby, Phew! lol. It was a fairly quick and totally painless procedure, but the really cool thing is that I met a woman in the waiting room (her daughter was having an ultra sound) who had the gastric bypass done 7 years ago by my surgeon and she sang his praises (and looked like she had never been overweight a day in her life). The ultra sound tech had the lap band done 3 years ago by my surgeon and also sung his praises. Even though I am quite confident in my decision to have this surgery and with the surgeon I selected, it still made me even feel better about that decision having met these two women.
Today, I had my EGD (upper GI endoscopy) which is the second procedure required pre-op. There is so much hoopla over a 10 minute procedure, sheesh!
I had to fast from 10pm last night until it was all said and done. My mom came and picked me up at 5:45 am as we had to be at the hospital by 6:15. I filled out some paperwork and then they took my mom and I back into a different waiting room. I had to pee in a cup to prove I wasn't pregnant and then they took me back.
They took my vitals and then had me change into a gown and lay down. Next came the IV and then my mom was brought back to hang out with me until I got whisked away into the operating room. I remember them helping me turn onto my side and then the next minute (it seemed) I was waking up in the recovery room. I had a pretty bad cough waking up from the anesthesia, so the nurse gave me ice chips and then raised the back of my bed and got me some water. That helped.
I had to chill out for 15 minutes or so and then they brought my mom back. The nurse gave my mom some instructions and then I found out I had a hiatal hernia. I actually suspected I did after reading so many posts on the forum I belong to. I also found out my stomach was a little inflamed, thought not sure why. The nurse explained neither one of these things would prevent me from getting my surgery and so all is well for moving forward.
I believe the hiatal hernia will be fixed during surgery as I've read that the surgeons usually do this during the VSG surgery. I will have to ask my doctor when I see him on 9/3.
I was discharged and then my mom and I went for breakfast. I am so happy my parents having finally accepted I'm doing this. It's a huge relief off my back! =)
I just woke up from a 2 1/2 hour nap a few minutes ago and I don't even feel guilty for taking the day off of work (well maybe a little bit).
Next step: Pre-op appointment at the hospital on 9/3 followed by my last appointment with my surgeon. Time is flying by and keep getting more and more excited with each passing day! =)
No comments:
Post a Comment