Friday, September 2, 2011

(Chocolate) PB2 Review

Have you heard of PB2?  I hadn't until recently and when I did, well you bet your bottom dollar I had to get me some.



We all know how amazing peanut butter tastes (or any nut butter, for that matter).  We love it, but we don't love the calories and fat that comes with it.

I typically eat Simply Jif.  It has 190 calories and 16 grams of fat per every 2 TBSPs.  Yikes!

Now let's look at PB2:


Yes, that's only 45 calories and 1 gram of fat per 2 TBSPs.  Wowsers!!!  Now a warning, though...it only has about 1/2 of the protein.  My Simply Jif has 8 grams and as you can see PB2 has only 4 grams.

How do they make this happen?

Bell Plantation removes 85% of the fat calories by a special process without the use of chemicals.  There are also no preservatives/additives in this baby!  PB2 comes in a jar and is powdered in appearance.  You mix 2 TBSPs of the powder with 1 TBSP of water and VOILA!  Instant PB!

I tried the chocolate PB2 on a Sara Lee 90 calorie English muffin and combined it with Sugar Free Polaner Blackberry Preserves (yes, raspberry or strawberry would have been better, but I didn't either of these with me).


I purchased my PB2 via Amazon.com because I only wanted to try it - as opposed to committing to a 4-jar pack on the Bell Plantation website without knowing whether or not I would like it.  The price does come out to be cheaper per jar (even with shipping charges) if you want to buy it in bulk through Bell Plantation.  It comes in chocolate and regular.

I thought it tasted delicious and I, for one, am thankful to have a less caloric PB on hand since I'm counting my calories and every one is precious to me.

Has anyone else tried this?  Thoughts?



7 comments:

Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com said...

Stuff that needs to be reconstituted kinda scares me.. except onions... I know I'm weird. I have "seen" this before but never thought to actually try it.

That Pink Girl said...

Hmm. Just, hmm. Having just recently "discovered" peanut butter...and only liking the fresh ground kind that I grind myself at the store, I prolly won't jump to try something new. But you're right, nutt butters are delish!!!

Anonymous said...

I saw this stuff at HEB last week. They keep it with the whey protein and all that stuff. Kind of a weird location...

Anonymous said...

I didn't know there was a chocolate variety! May have to check this one out.

Amanda @ Click. The Good News said...

Ok- I'm going to try it! I Iove peanut butter- sometimes I just grab a big old spoonful in the afternoon for a snack! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm I just bought the regular PB2. I've had it in smoothies, but I haven't tried the whole "add water" to make a regular pb. I didn't know they had chocolate flavor. I might have to try it!

Melissa-D said...

Well, since I'm not a big PB fan, I'll take your word for it. I will have to tell Greg since he loves PB.