I know I just took my vacation back during the first week of May, but oye...it seems like eons ago. Sadly, I don't take my second vacation until October.
I find that weekend getaways are sometimes just what the doctor ordered to refresh/renew a girl, you know?!
I headed to Dallas on Friday after work. I played the whole silly game of trying to get out at 4pm which in my head meant I would really be gone by 5:00. Unfortunately, I didn't end up leaving until 5:30. =/ Since I had gone home at lunch time to pick-up my dogs and take them to my mom's house for the weekend (thanks mom!), I was home free once I got out that door.
The drive to Dallas from Houston is pretty boring. I find myself looking for landmarks. The first one is always the Sam Houston statue in Huntsville. The second is Buc-ee's...I think it's in Madisonville. I guess that's about it. I had an audio book I was listening to that I finished pretty early on in my jaunt. I switched it out for another one and just couldn't get into it, so I ended up listening to the radio for the rest of my ride.
That Pink Girl so gratiously offered for me to stay at her house for the weekend. Last time I went to Dallas for a race (Dallas RnR back in March), I stayed with a friend of mine in Fort Worth. I didn't realize FW was soooo far away and it was really a nuisance to drive all the way out there, so TPG's offer was awesome!
My mom had asked for her info because...for all intense purposes, TPG is a stranger. I laughed it off and was like, "Mom, we've hung out twice before....she's totally normal, I swear." It didn't dawn on me until I was about 30 minutes from her house that it could be totally awkward. It wasn't...like at all...cuz TPG is that kinda awesome, sweet, and fun!
We stayed up late on Friday talking. When I went to bed in her delightfully pink guest room, I saw she left me out a care package of sorts - her favorite running socks, NUUN, some bottled water, snacks, a magazine, and my race shirt and bib she picked up for me. Soooo sweet and thoughtful is That Pink Girl!
Saturday morning, I talked her ear off while she prepped food for the brunch/party she was hosting. How fun to combine all her groups of friends - she had work friends, running buddies, and bloggies all intermingling. I ate soy sausage for the first time ever - guess what guys? It tastes just like regular sausage. Weird, right?!
You know what's funny? I actually ended up having a vegetarian weekend. It wasn't even intentional!
After the party, we went to some shops about town - Run On, a bike shop, and some of those little cute boutiques. We then landed at Ulta. Oh how I love me some Ulta and it was perfect timing because I had been scraping the bottom of my make-up compacts/bottles for the past 3 weeks! Next was Academy (another fave store) and then we went home to relax for a bit before dinner.
We went to this really great Italian restaurant named Scalini's for a carbo-loading dinner. I have said it before that I have a tendency to prefer a more vegetarian approach to my pizza. Mine had black olives, green olives, onion, yellow squash, zucchini, and mushrooms on it. It was delicious!
Later we organized our race gear and then I assisted TPG in making her first vlog. You really need to check it out here. It's pretty funny! We were having way too much fun as the hours crept up on us. I think we finally made it to our respective beds around 12:30am and I had set my alarm for 5:30. Yikes! Once my head hit the pillow, I figured out I wasn't tired, so I tossed and turned for probably a half hour or so before I finally slept.
Sunday was race day. Here is my race recap if you missed it.
After the race, TPG took me to one of her fave sandwich shops called The Great Outdoors because she had remembered me saying in this heat, sandwiches are often the only thing that sound good. Again...how thoughtful! I ordered their Summer Sub on wheat. Oh wow was it yummy. It had cream cheese and meunster cheese on it along with mushrooms, cucumbers, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and red wine vinegar. Be still my heart! I have since purchased all these ingredients to recreate that sub at home!!!
After lunch, we headed back to TPG's house. I already had my bags packed, so I just needed to shower and put on some comfy attire for the 3 1/2 hour trip back home.
Although my body was stiff and my very existence was tired, I felt...at peace.
Thanks to That Pink Girl for a wonderful weekend getaway!
Oh and sorry I'm such an awful blogger that I have no pics to share from the entire weekend. What in the world is wrong with me?!
3 comments:
I had SO much fun hanging out with you last weekend! You brought JOY and LAUGHTER into my home and I thank you for that. We had so much fun!
And yes, I guess you were a vegetarian all weekend. I'll convert you yet, ha! :0)
Sounds like a wonderful weekend and TPG is a great host. Awesome job on getting through the half :-)
Sounds like a wonderful weekend and TPG is a great host. Awesome job on getting through the half :-)
Post a Comment