My road is always paved with good intentions. I was so drained on Friday after work, y'all. I mean like the life was sucked out of me. I didn't even get home until 8:15pm. That's a long a$$ day. I had planned on doing a 4-mile walk or heck...I would have even been satisfied with hitting my new exercise bike, but alas...I was burned out, so I went to bed at 9pm with no exercise.
I had thought to surprise myself by getting up at 5am to go ahead and get my long WALK in. When I woke up and put the dogs out, it had already started drizzling. By the time I let them back in - it was a storm. Ugh.
I went back to bed.
When I finally did get back up, it was HOT, HUMID, STEAMY, and every other adjective you can think of to describe miserable conditions for outdoor training. I decided to do my missed 4 miles. I only ended up doing 3 and the last mile was just awful. I felt defeated. I then hit my exercise bike for 30 minutes before showering and dressing for family lunch at BJ's Brewhouse.
After our lunch, I went to get a facial at Visage Salon and Day Spa. I had purchased a Groupon for a 50% discount a couple of months ago and was excited to use it. I really loved the relaxing music playing in the room and the fact that my esthetician didn't try to sell me the products that I knew I wouldn't buy. Once my massage was over, I did something I've never done. I cheated on my hair stylist. I've been going to Leena for 13 years now, but I just couldn't deal with my overgrown bushy mop-top any longer. Visage also had a hair salon, so I asked if they could squeeze me in and I only had to wait 15 minutes to become publically acceptable once again. I don't have a picture, so sorry, but really I didn't do anything extreme - just cut a couple of awful inches off and then had my layers "tuned up".
I wanted to get up at 5am again on Sunday for my long WALK, but I stayed up too late on Saturday night (bad Kim) and managed to head out for my WALK around 7:15am. It was already ridiculously hot and humid, but so what? I mean it's going to be this kind of weather for The Hottest Half on 8/14, so I might as well get used to it. This was the first time I used my new camelbak. The night before I filled the bladder with water and added 3 Nuun tablets and then put it in the freezer. Maybe I should have put it in the pack first because it was a real struggle on Sunday morning to get the frozen bladder in the pack. =/
I looked ridiculous....overkill for a walker, but whatever, I mean the camelbak prevented me from having to hit home for additional hydration before my 8 miles were through AND this is imperative for me because I have a bad habit of hitting home and not resuming my mileage.
The first mile was ROUGH. I was having some major issues with my calves being super tight. I had even foam rolled and stretched before going out. 1/3 of the way through my first mile, I pulled over to stretch my calves against the curb. They still hurt, but I kept on going. They loosened up during my second mile and I could finally speed up. I did really well until I hit the 6th mile and then I struggled for the last two, but not because I was hurting...it was because of a lack of fuel. I just wasn't hungry in the morning before I headed out, so I choked down half a Clif's bar. I didn't bring anything with me, so I ended up burning 1157 calories only having had 120 in my system before I left out. I know for this coming Sunday's 10-miler that I will need to plan out my fueling better - in other words, make arrangements to eat something halfway through my WALK. Oh...and in case you were wondering, I did drink the entire 72 oz out of my camelbak by the time I hit my front door. I was kinda bummed about this because I had hoped the 72 oz would be enough for the entire half marathon, but...apparently that won't work.
I immediately took off my shoes and socks once I got inside...RELIEF! I then noticed chafing! CHAFING! I didn't think about my arm hitting the strap from my camelbak. Doh! I will know where to Vaseline it up next time! I took this picture of myself with my phone cuz the battery was dead in my camera. There was one small area on my shirt dry. Weird. The rest of me was soaking wet. I couldn't wait to hit the shower and use my minty wash to cool me down.
After I was all clean, I got dressed for my MUCH needed massage. It could not have come at a better time. I went ahead and made an appointment for another one after this coming Sunday's 10-miler!
I grabbed lunch at Lenny's Subs. I was ravenous at this point. Then I took my lunch to my parent's house and hung out with them until later when my mom and I met older sister Cathy and brother-in-law Jay at the movie theater to see Friends with Benefits. Probably not the most appropriate movie to watch with one's mother, but it was hilarious!
All in all, it was a lovely weekend - once again rejuvenating me for the week ahead.
Hope y'all had a lovely weekend, as well! =)

7 comments:
sounds like a great weekend!(minus the storm)
You accomplished so much! Sometimes bad Kim comes out at my house too:)
It sounds like you had a full weekend!
I love my Camelbak, but sometimes it causes me to chafe too. A little body glide seems to the trick though.
The camelback might be enough for your half. They will have hydration stops along the way, right? Adding that in might help your camelback last. I feel you on this heat. My training is struggling and I am on low miles now. Ugh...I'm ready for fall weather when I can run in the afternoon and it be tolerable!!!
Nice work getting your 8 miler done - this humidity and heat is KILLER. I bet having the frozen pack on your back actually helped keep you a little cooler - at least to begin with!
You accomplished a lot this weekend! And I'm so jealous that y'all got rain! Yay for rain, boo for even more humidity to make your run that much tougher!
And can I say, you look about 14 in that picture! :0)
Good job! I promise that getting up a littler earlier helps, but it's still miserable :( At least when the sun starts rising, there is a little breeze. This summer has been brutally hot & I"m so tempted to finish my run IN my parents pool, but that i'd have to get home somehow. YOu can always refill your camelback at water stations- I usually refill my water bottles several times. Body glide is also helpful to prevent chaffing, but sometimes it still just happens.
Post a Comment